Stamped concrete and stamped concrete overlay in St. Paul is a very popular thing among homeowners. Stamped concrete is something that many people are inquiring about, so today we wanted to go over if you can lay stamped concrete over existing concrete. We’ll answer this question while also giving some pros and cons of stamped concrete to see if it’s the best choice for you.
What Is Stamped Concrete?
In case you don’t know what stamped concrete is, it is concrete that is stamped or designed to have a pattern on the top. It gives a unique and personalized feel to any area where concrete would be such as a patio, pool deck, or driveway. Stamped concrete has been a popular choice among homeowners recently because of its uniqueness of it. It allows you to have a sturdy concrete area while maintaining a cool design and features that give your home personality. For more resources, please visit us at https://stpaulstampedconcretedesign.com.
Can You Add Stamped Concrete Over Existing Concrete?
Many people might wonder if you can place a stamped concrete overlay on top of existing concrete or if you must get rid of the old concrete first. The answer to this is that you can definitely put a stamped concrete overlay on existing concrete. In fact, this is a great way to refinish, repair, or enhance your resisting concrete, plus it means you don’t have to have that concrete removed.
A stamped concrete overlay in St. Paul can be placed over any size or type of existing concrete. There aren’t many limitations to this, especially because it can go anywhere that your previous concrete was placed. The underneath concrete will be cleaned and properly prepared for a stamped concrete overlay to be placed on top.
Pros and Cons Of Stamped Concrete Overlay
Stamped concrete overlays seem to be rising in popularity, but we wanted to still give some pros and cons on this method. If you’re contemplating stamped concrete overlay on top of your existing concrete, then you’re in for a treat. Let’s look at some of the main pros and cons that can help you make a decision on if this is the right choice.
Pros of Stamped Concrete Overlay
- They look great and add a bit of personalization to your home, plus they can be different designs and different colors to give you ultimate customization.
- They are quite strong and durable since it is a concrete slabs. Which makes it great for areas in your home that get high traffic as well.
- They are low maintenance besides having them resealed every once in a while, but either way, you don’t have to worry too much about it.
- It’s a more affordable option compared to other decorative options such as stone or brick.
- It’s an economical option compared to the alternative and also compared to if you had redone the entire concrete rather than applying an overlay.
- It helps to repair or refinish existing concrete when it’s laid on top.
Cons of Stamped Concrete Overlay:
- They do have a possibility of cracking because of the design on them, but all concrete can crack, so just keep this in mind.
- It’s not the best for high-traffic areas such as a driveway where large vehicles will be driving on it daily. This can cause damage.
- It must be maintained by getting it resealed every 2 to 3 years in order to ensure it stays weatherproof and in great condition.
How Much Does A Stamped Concrete Overlay Cost?
A stamped concrete overlay in St Paul can cost anywhere from $5 to $15 per square foot, depending on the company, design, and other features. Stamped concrete can be a bit more expensive because of the design, but also, since it’s an overlay, it’ll be cheaper than doing a full stamped concrete area.
With that being said, a stamped concrete overlay will last about 20 years as long as it is applied correctly and sealed properly. Proper maintenance also must be maintained during the time that you have the stamped concrete overlay. This means that you should have it resealed every couple of years to protect it from weather and other damages.
Stamped Concrete Overlay in St. Paul
The bottom line is that you can indeed place a stamped concrete overlay on top of existing concrete. This is a great way to refinish, repair, or revamp and enhance your existing concrete areas. It’s much cheaper than doing a full stamped concrete area, but also gives the same benefits such as longevity and uniqueness. It’s a great option for homeowners looking to add a bit of flair to their outdoor areas in their homes without needing to do anything difficult or costly. If you’re looking for a long-lasting, affordable option to help bring some personality to your home while refinishing existing concrete areas then stamped concrete overlay in St. Paul is a great idea for you.