(Update: Bend Hearth claims woodstove ashes sparked blaze protection ideas presented)

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) – A hearth that ruined a southwest Bend home Wednesday morning whilst the inhabitants ended up away was located to have been prompted by incorrect disposal of woodstove ashes, officials mentioned.

The hearth was noted by neighbors soon immediately after 8:30 a.m. in the 19700 block of Opal Avenue, and crews arrived to locate the home engulfed in flames, as effectively as the back deck, Deputy Fireplace Marshal Dan Derlacki sad. The family pet dog was observed safe exterior when crews arrived.

The home is considered a comprehensive decline, with practically $100,000 in hurt to the setting up and contents, Derlacki reported.

No injuries ended up claimed.

Fireplace investigators on scene established it was brought on by the incorrect disposal of woodstove ashes, Derlacki said. Ashes were being placed into a paper bag future to the stove. The bag ignited, and the hearth distribute to the adjacent furnishings and carpeting. 

The Sunriver Fire Office also responded to the scene, though Redmond Hearth & Rescue provided an engine to assist cover the metropolis right up until the fireplace was controlled, Derlacki mentioned.

The displaced family members declined an present of American Crimson Cross disaster guidance and produced other arrangements, officers said.

“As we head into winter and woodstove time, Bend Fire Office needs to remind all people to make certain they are applying, cleaning and sustaining their woodstoves effectively to reduce extra fires like this,” Derlacki mentioned.

“Ash is a fantastic insulator and can keep incredibly hot for times just after the previous fireplace. For that explanation, the ideal way to dispose of ash is to area it into a non-flamable container with a restricted fitting lid these as a steel bucket. The bucket ought to be saved away from combustibles till the ash is chilly to the contact. At that level, the ash can be discarded into a trash can or distribute on the floor.

“Steel buckets with lids can be obtained at most residence advancement/hardware stores or woodstove retailer. The limited fitting lid retains the ash from igniting just about anything and helps prevent carbon monoxide from releasing into the home from the warm ash,” he added. 

Derlacki also stated, “Make confident you have doing the job smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in your property, regardless of whether you use a woodstove or not. Operating alarms additional than double your family’s possibility of surviving a hearth in your home.”

Extra protection information and facts about woodstoves and heating appliances can be uncovered on Bend Fire’s internet site, at: https://www.bendoregon.gov/govt/departments/fire-rescue/protection-suggestions-unexpected emergency-preparedness/fall-wintertime-basic safety-ideas